Sponge cake with berries is ideal for summer, it’s so fresh and fruity. Not so “quick” to make but it worth a try. It can be also a wonderful birthday cake 😉
You need to prepare a sponge cake that you find the instruction here.
A quick recap of sponge cake recipe:
In the mixing machine add: sugar, salt, room temperature eggs & milk and vanilla till they become foamy, then gently mix flour to the batter. Put it in the oven, at first 5mins on 190C°/374F° then on 160C°/320F° for 30 minutes then turn off the oven and let it stay for 10 more minutes. Then put it out of the oven and let it stay for 30 minutes
- When it cools down, add any rum of your choice 2-3 tbsp (optional)
– Cut, horizontally, in 3 disks the sponge cake. Place them in a rack separately
With a spoon pour the syrup to each part. let the sponge cake absorb. (about 1h).
– In the meantime, whip the cream with icing sugar till it becomes firm. Let it stay in the fridge so it will be really cold before spreading it on the sponge cake. It will be much easier to manage.
– Toast the almond flakes till they gain nice golden color and cut in small chunks the strawberries (or any berries of your choice)
– Now, It’s time to cover everything with the rest of the whipped cream.
– Better set the cake to rest. I suggest at least 10 hours.
The next day, cover the edges of the cake with almond flakes and decorate the top however you please proceeding by a light shower of icing sugar on top and it’s ready!