Baghali Ghatogh – stew of beans and dill

Baghali Ghatogh is one of the famous dishes of north Iran! It’s one of those vegetarian dishes that tastes really good and maybe particular for those who never taste it before. The combination of garlic, dill & turmeric gives it a unique taste and with kateh rice it feels like heaven!

You can use either Cranberry beans (typical recipe of Gilan) or Fava beans (typical recipe of Mazandaran). Gilan and Mazandaran are both 2 regions of northern Iran. This recipe is Gilaki! 😉

aaaaand It’s one of the quickest dishes of Iranian cuisine that you can prepare it in less than 1 hour! (if you have all the ingredients ready! :D)

Ingredients | Servings: 2

1 clove of Garlic
1 teaspoon Turmeric
100g of fresh (or frozen) chopped Dill
400g/14oz fresh Cranberry beans
3-4 Egg
ground black pepper
Salt
Ghee or oil

Preparation

Beans should be peeled, if they are fresh you can do that right away but if not soak them for 8h first then you can peel them easily

Peeled Cranberry Beans

– pour a bit of oil and add finely chopped garlic in a pan.

– stir a bit, on medium heat
– add turmeric and chopped dill and continue to stir

– add peeled beans

– stir them again

– pour water till it covers all ingredients

– add salt & paper

Water has been added and the beans are cooking with dill, garlic & turmeric

– cover the pan with its lid and leave it on medium-low heat for 20-30mins till the beans are cooked

add eggs

Adding Eggs

– Wait for 5 mins so the eggs cook

– serve it with Iranian white rice.

Baghali ghatogh is ready!
Baghala Ghatoq with saffron rice and tahdig

Noosh-e Jan 🙂

4.3/5 (19 Reviews)

18 Comments

1. Scott September 15, 2019 at 2:19 am

I tried doing it with a can of favas beans. Surprisingly it is super watery and actually quite bland.

1. Bahareh September 15, 2019 at 8:53 am

Oh! I never tried that… Thanks for sharing, I’ll not even think about it! 🙂

2. Abbie July 27, 2019 at 1:21 am

Can you use dried cranberry beans for this? How would that effect the cooking time?

1. Bahareh July 27, 2019 at 9:35 am

It will take longer, I suggest:
      Or using a pressure cooker (so around 40mins you’ll cook it instead of than +1 hour)

Or you can use fava beans (that is a typical recipe of another northern province) which is quicker to cook and still it’s the same dish!

3. Noosh June 29, 2019 at 1:34 am

I thought yellow fava bean is usually used?

1. Bahareh June 29, 2019 at 8:12 am

Hi Noosh! apparently, there are 2 kinds of recipe for Baghali Ghatogh, this recipe of mine is from Gilan Province they use a family of cranberry beans which called in local dialect: Pach Baghala پاچ باقالا

I saw some recipes with Fava beans, they are using Mazandarani recipe (the other province of north). I like this version more because the beans don’t lose their shape quickly and the stew doesn’t become too starchy.

4. Beth May 14, 2019 at 1:58 pm

How long does it take to peel the beans. This looks great, but sounds like that would take quite a while to peel each bean!

1. Bahareh May 14, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Dear Beth, you are absolutely right!
      It’s funny, the cooking time is only 25-30mins but peeling the beans takes much more… Up to 45 mins :-/

Personally, I do this: when the season for the beans comes, I buy a lot (up to 5-6 kg/13Ibs) and in front of a -long- good film, I peel them with help of my mom then store them in the freezer to have them ready for most of the year! 🙂

5. Mojgan Kianfar February 10, 2019 at 2:13 am

Salam Bahareh joon, I’m Iranian and also from Rasht. What I get from the photos, this is the best look Gilani Baghala ghatogh. Good job.

1. Bahareh February 10, 2019 at 8:25 am

Hearing this from you – who is from the birthplace of this wonderful dish – made my day! Thank you so much Mojgan! 🙏🏻

6. K November 3, 2018 at 7:43 am

100 grams of dill is way too much for this.

1. Bahareh November 3, 2018 at 4:50 pm

This is the family recipe and we usually use this amount of dill… but Of course, it’s up to you how much you like to add dill to it 🙂

7. Eva October 6, 2018 at 11:57 am

Where can I buy cranberry beans?

1. Bahareh October 6, 2018 at 7:29 pm

I usually buy them from the farmers market and now is the season for fresh Cranberry beans, but the dried version usually can be found in the supermarket. But in case you couldn’t them, any fresh beans can work as well.

8. Rio September 21, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Looks amazing. Is there any type of particular beans that should be used? Hoping to make this soon!

1. Bahareh September 22, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Yes there is. It’s better to use Cranberry bean and Thank you for bringing that up! Just updated the recipe. I hope you like it!

9. Sanjay September 10, 2018 at 5:00 am

I love Iranian n Persian food and your recipes are to die for thank you for sending such great recipes

1. Bahareh November 3, 2018 at 4:53 pm

So glad you liked it! (sorry for my delayed reply)